Orange County Executive Steven M. Neuhaus released the following statement on Thursday, Dec. 1 in response to the County Legislature adopting the 2023 Executive Recommended Budget with a vote of 18-0.
Legislators Michael Amo, Joseph Minuta and Joel Sierra did not attend the session.
“I am proud to present another fiscally responsible budget plan that lowers the tax rate for residents,” Neuhaus said. “I applaud the County Legislature for approving my proposed budget with minimal changes. We will continue to do more with less, which is a result of our dedicated and skilled County workforce and our management team.”
Chairwoman of the Legislature Katie Bonelli stated: “The Legislature has enjoyed working collaboratively with County Executive Neuhaus and his administration on this budget. The 2023 budget is innovative and fiscally responsible and benefits our residents with the lowest tax rate in 46 years. We will continue to find innovative ways to strengthen Orange County’s finances.”
Highlights of the 2023 budget include:
• The County Tax Rate will be $2.7446, which is the lowest it has been since at least 1976. The County’s Tax Rate was $3.434 last year.
• The County will utilize none of its unassigned general fund balance in 2023, compared to $9.9 Million in 2022 and $13.8 Million in 2021. The County’s fund balance has more than doubled since Neuhaus took office, back to State recommended levels.
• The County’s property Tax Rate has gone down 28 percent since 2014.
• Moody’s Investors Service, the financial services ratings company, noted that “the County’s tax base is experiencing growth largely attributed to the tourism industry, sound financial position driven by conservative budget management and a manageable long-term liability profile.”
• The County generated $224 million in Sales Tax through September of 2022, up $21 million from the same time last year.
For more information, contact Justin Rodriguez, Assistant to the County Executive for Communications and Media Relations at 845.291.3255 or firstname.lastname@example.org.