St. George’s receives landmark status grant

Posted 11/16/21

The New York Landmarks Conservancy has announced 18 Sacred Sites Grants totaling $310,500 awarded to historic religious properties throughout New York State, including $25,000 to St. George’s …

This item is available in full to subscribers.

Please log in to continue

Log in

St. George’s receives landmark status grant

Posted

The New York Landmarks Conservancy has announced 18 Sacred Sites Grants totaling $310,500 awarded to historic religious properties throughout New York State, including $25,000 to St. George’s Episcopal Church in Newburgh to help fund tower and roof restoration.

An impressive three-bay Greek Revival masonry structure, St. George’s Episcopal Church was built in 1817, although the congregation dates to 1729. The church was enlarged in 1834, at which time the steeple was added. Stained glass windows, two of which can be attributed to Tiffany studios, were added during the late 19th and early 20th centuries.

The congregation reaches 2,200 people a year through community activities such as a food pantry, Planned Parenthood outreach, an after-school girls empowerment program, a children’s choir, and chamber-music and choral concerts.

“Our Sacred Sites grantees maintain beautiful and important buildings, but also serve beyond their congregations,” said Peg Breen, President, The New York Landmarks Conservancy. “Throughout these difficult months, they have continued providing food, health and recovery programs to their communities. Our grants will help them continue all their vital work.”

The Sacred Sites Program provides congregations with matching grants for planning and implementing exterior restoration projects, along with technical assistance, and workshops. Since 1986, the program has pledged 1,578 grants totaling more than $14.9 million to 836 religious institutions statewide.

The New York Landmarks Conservancy, a private non-profit organization, has led the effort to preserve and protect New York City’s architectural legacy for nearly 50 years. Since its founding, the Conservancy has loaned and granted more than $54 million, which has leveraged more than $1 billion in 1,850 restoration projects throughout New York, revitalizing communities, providing economic stimulus and supporting local jobs. The Conservancy has also offered countless hours of pro bono technical advice to building owners, both nonprofit organizations and individuals. The Conservancy’s work has saved more than a thousand buildings across the City and State, protecting New York’s distinctive architectural heritage for residents and visitors alike today, and for future generations. For more information, please visit nylandmarks.org.

Comments

No comments on this item Please log in to comment by clicking here