A water main break occurred in the Village of Montgomery at approximately 3 p.m. on Wednesday.
According to Ralph Nelson, superintendent of public works for the Village of Montgomery, the break occurred due to a valve that failed. He also noted that the valve is old and has deteriorating parts. The Village of Montgomery’s Department of Public Works were able to stop the majority of the leak but are still working to fix the valve.
Despite this event, Nelson stated that 100 percent of the village residents still have running water. Some residents reported brown water. To protect people, the village’s department of public works issued a boil water notice, as the community’s drinking water could be damaged by pathogens.
The boil water notice will remain in effect until further notice, only for residents east of Railroad Avenue. Residents must boil water for at least one minute prior to using for bathing, cooking and drinking.
The Village of Montgomery’s Department of Public Works is currently working to repair the water main. After the valve is fixed, they will test the water for bacteria. Residents with questions on this matter can call the Village of Montgomery Department of Public Works at 854-457-5321 or the village hall at 845-457-9661.